Wednesday, November 5, 2008

AC/DC Live: Rock Band Track Pack - $32.35


As those who have had to spend time around me know, I am a Rock Band fanatic. Most people think things like "That Rock Band, it sure is fun at parties!" or "Boy, doing stuff with people is totally cool!" Not me. Rock Band is fun alone. Obscure humorist John Billings once said solitude was a good place to visit, but a poor place to stay. Might I add it's a great place to ROCK! I have spent countless hours by myself rocking hard at the little plastic drums and, over time, have developed finely tuned fake drum skills which are completely unmarketable in the real world.

Tired of feverishly awaiting the release of Rock Band 2 on PS2 (a new game system is Stuff I Have Chosen Not to Bought), I decided to plunk down for this special all-AC/DC supplement to Rock Band. And yes, I do mean special in the pejorative sense as it's only being carried by Wal-Mart. To get the hard-hitting beats of "TNT" and "Back in Black," I would have to grit my teeth and enter what Michelle Bachman would call the "Pro-America" parts of our consumer society.* Thinking about it, perhaps this is the perfect synergy for Wal-Mart: a new ad campaign featuring "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap."

I got in and out AQAP and headed home to shower and then rock. The game layout is identical to Rock Band 1 and the first Rock Band Track Pack (which I previously bought, BB (before-blog). The biggest knock is that most of AC/DC's songs are basically the same with two slight variations - normal and really fast. While the songs are fun to play, they are, by and large, not challenging on drums. In fact, this game has almost convinced me to pick up the old five-button and see what the guitar parts are like.

Though I tend to prefer to fly solo at the kit, songs like "You Shook Me All Night Long" and "Highway to Hell" beg for the full band rock out with your smock out treatment. For that level of enjoyment, I consider this stuff well bought.

*Disturbingly, my first two posts involve purchases at Starbucks and Wal-Mart. I am tempted to dismantle this blog post-haste.

No comments: