Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Iced Chai Latte - $0

For the inaugural post of Stuff I Bought (Beta), I only "quasi-bought" the stuff to which this post refers. So from the beginning the concept is broken and disregarded. Good start.

I work at an office that distributes free Starbucks cards like campus recruiters dish out credit cards. Attend a meeting? Get a Starbucks card! Your dog has heartworm? Have a Starbucks card! Receive 5 Starbucks cards in one week? Get another for good luck!

This would be ideal, if I drank coffee or liked Starbucks.

I don't want this to quickly devolve in a Starbucks rant as it has been done better many times before (particularly in Shakespeare's overlooked minor comedy "The Taming of the Brew." (see why I said I should move on?)).

In an effort to dispel pre-election jitters, I accompanied a coffee-liking co-worker to Starbucks and used a free gift-card to obtain a small Iced Chai Tea Latte. The transaction cost me nothing and I am left with about a $1.50 on my card, so if anything, I am still up.

Back in the office, I looked up the nutritional content as I had recently read an interesting article in the NY Times about calorie counting. Turns out my little cup of spiced goodness was about 180 calories.

Overall it was fine, though getting out of the office was really the best part, making the drink more a means to an end.

Verdict: Non-money, well, spent.

No comments: