Thursday, November 6, 2008

Maudie's Soft, Soggy Tacos - $9.13

My third tour of duty in Texas has gone swimmingly thus far. At least part of this is due to my new found appreciation for both Mexican and Tex-Mex food. While I used to found it mainly tolerable, now I actively seek it out. For all those who don't believe in change (and at last count you accounted for some 46% of the nation's population), I am eating proof of it.

What I have recently learned from this is, once formed, our impressions of others is slow to change. Though I've been a Tex-Mex convert for over a year now, any time a Tex-Mex restaurant is proposed for lunch, all parties quickly turn to me and say "Oh wait, he won't eat that" or "Are you sure, it's okay with you?" Yes, yes, a hundred times yes, people! While others may attempt to deny my culinary growth, the proof is in the paella.

All of this to say, today we went to eat at Maudie's. And though I have grown and expanded and embiggened my palette, I still have not acquired a taste for crappy Tex-Mex. In my two experiences, the tacos I've ordered have been disturbingly soaking wet with flavorless juices which dissolved the tortillas. I knew in my heart of hearts I should not have ordered the shredded chicken tacos again, and yet, there I was ordering them straight up. I could see it all happening in slow motion, but I was powerless to stop it.

Maudie's is an Austin tradition, and I will likely do nothing to improve my lunch time standing with this post, but soggy tacos are soggy tacos.

Verdict: While the concept of lunch in general was good, Maudie's, not so much.

No comments: